32 years old - Made in Britain - Exported to Singapore - Re-Exported to the Netherlands - and from thence back to Britain

Sunday, December 04, 2005

You work in customer services? Really?

Ok - Chicago is -3 today which for me (North European that I am) was fine. Not too cold at all. The trip from O'Hare to the Wyndham (the relatively swanky hotel) was good. The hotel was fine, until that is I wanted to use the WiFi.

Like most corporate lackeys, my laptop is shutdown so WiFi will not work. This is not a problem, the hotel has little APs to attach to your RJ45 LAN port so that is good. What sucked was that I could not get my laptop OR my XDA Exec to connect. So, I asked front desk for support, which sounds like the start of a Gerry Seinfeld joke. The girl could not help, and refered me to WayPoint - the hotels network provider. Thinking I would try to help I checked if I could get a connection elsewhere on the laptop - which I could. Armed with this info I went back to the desk, who offered to replace the AP!

I explained in noddy terms that this proved there was no WiFi coverage in my room. The girl expressed doubt as WayPoint provide the network infrastructure! Aaargh pet hate! I suggested that I was sure I was right, and better qualified to analyse the root cause of network problems than she, and have stomped off for a coffee.

Unable to connect in room (or even see the SSID) whilst being able to elsewhere in the hotel means that my room is the issue. In the words of Terse:

"Sheeesh"

1 Comments:

Blogger Tym said...

Your room is clearly the Twilight Zone.

I just find it hard to imagine a "network infrastructure" for wireless connectivity that somehow leaves one room (or set of rooms) unconnected.

Hope the rest of the trip is up to scratch!

1:59 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home