32 years old - Made in Britain - Exported to Singapore - Re-Exported to the Netherlands - and from thence back to Britain

Monday, September 13, 2004

The Butterfly Effect

Last night Kanga and I watched The Butterfly Effect - a film that i truly expected to be an excuse to disengage the brain for 2 hours. We were both pleasantly surprised by what, in my opinion, turned out to be a fairly interesting film. Admittedly, Ashton Kutcher's acting is far from good, but the supporting cast got a chance to try different roles. And, for me the acting is always secondary to the story. And I quite enjoyed the story. It was very Ray Bradbury, and whilst it had some fairly obvious flaws that Bradbury would have eliminated (see below), overall it gave pause for thought.

Obvious Flaws: Prison scene when Kutcher tries to convince hardman of God that he has a direct line to Jesus. To prove this he goes back in time and as a child impales his hands on two paper spikes, and in the present the god fearing criminal sees a stigmata scar appear on his hands in real time. Of course, this wouldn't happen because if you could travel back in time then the scars would always have been there.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more flaws I see. So, suspend disbelief and Einstienian science and enjoy the story, thats what I did and it worked for me. On balance it gets a 4/10 from me (where 9/10 would be Hanabi or Tampopo).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home